Here is the quote Kathy read by Christopher Seitz and I was also able to find the article for those interested I will post the link below.
"The Old Testament tells a particular story about a particular people and its particular God, whom, in Christ, we confess as our God, Jesus' Father and our own, the Holy One of Israel. We have been read into a will, a first will and testament, by Christ. If we do not approach the literature with this basic stance-of estrangement overcome, of an inclusion properly called "adoption"-historical-critical methods or a hermeneutics of assent will still stand outside and fail to grasp that it is God who is reading us, not we God."
Article
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks, Jen, for posting that quote. I have also been thinking about the idea of tolerance that was brought up last night. Jesus was tolerant -- of everyone, except the Pharisees, who thought they were hot stuff. Again, our word is inadequate, and does not in any way include the concept of grace or hesed (lovingkindness) that is God's character, and ours when we allow His work in our life. Tolerance also does not include the idea of condoning activity or behaviour. More thoughts on this, anyone? Or on the quote?
ReplyDeleteWe cannot get away from the idea that the Scriptures are ABOUT GOD -- not about me, or whether I measure up, or whether I'm doing His will, or whether I'm OK, or . . .and on it goes.
I thought it might also be interesting to see what our "New Year's Resolutions" are -- anyone interested in sharing? Here are mine:
1. Replace impatience with interest
2. Remove my watch (more often!)
3. Be "unhasting and unresting"
(I had to look them up so I could remember them!!! HA!)
I love how in the quote Seitz says it is God who is reading us, not us reading God. He has read us into His will and testament, not the other way around! Also, our "estrangement" has been "overcome" by the shed blood of Jesus. PTL... It just blows me away more and more every day how God is so CRAZY ABOUT US! Oh that the world would know this love...
ReplyDeleteSorry I had to look it up!
ReplyDeletehermeneutics: 1. the study of the methodological principles of interpretation (as of the Bible)
2 : a method or principle of interpretation
I never want to push people away-never want to close the door that could be the one that opens someone to hearing and seeing the Word of God. Tolerance for me can be a tough battle of balance. I will not conform to this world or go against what is clearly in the scriptures, not because I have to but because I want to.
ReplyDeleteI find that I need to slow down, speak carefully and thoughtfully. I used to just spew out at the mouth-now, I may now be saying the same things I said back then, but it is received differently. I speak slowly...choosing my words more carefully. Again, not wanting to be the person who shuts someone out from The Truth. I have a couple other thoughts on this, but I cannot verbalize them enough to get them out....I will wait.
New Years Resolutions.....I do not formally make any because I usually fail. However, this year I made some goals (maybe if I say "goal" I will do better! HA!).
1. Get healthy....
PHYSICAL-that includes eating better and starting some type of regular workout (I am successful with the eating, but need to start the 2nd)
MENTAL-get back on a daily schedule-it does not work for every season in my life, but right now I need structure
2. Be me
This may sound simple, but there is a new joy I am finding in "It's not that I do not care about you, it's just that I do not care (what you think about me)"
Can't wait for Tuesday night.....digging deeper!!!
A couple thoughts have been crossing my mind and heart lately:
ReplyDeleteFirst, regarding resolutions: I never really formally wrote down or told anyone my "new year's resolution", but have made a mental note to self: This year I will notice and choose to pay attention to what is important over what is urgent/pressing/obligatory etc..
Second, I've been thinking about tolerance in terms of frames of references. In other words, If I think about tolerance from the "me" perspective, then I can easily demonstrate the idea that I am right, better than or above others. And believe me, I've been guilt of this at severals points in my life. If I am thinking of tolerance from the God's perspective, then my entire definition shifts. What is God saying to me??? Maybe it's more about how I limit myself to love and understanding others??? food for thought.
Lastly, the quote by Sietz. Wow. The part where he refers to God reading us instead of us reading Him is what got me to thinking about tolerance from God's view. I have read this quote over and over and over. It blows my mind to read it. And to think I thought that tolerance has something to do with "my" point of view??? wow.
Hopefully this isn't a bunch of written garble. Hopefully, I have articulated myself clearly. As you know, on things this deep, I'm better with my words.