Sunday, October 2, 2011

Unlearning

Hey gals...We talked a little about "unlearning" at last week's meeting. Kathy asked for specific examples of what we might be unlearning on our journeys. I've done some thinking about that one and was reminded about this quote by C.S. Lewis I came across a while back. It has changed my view of salvation and has definitely been part of my unlearning process. It may take you a few reads and a few days of processing to fully understand what he means here.

"We do know that no person can be saved except through Christ. We do NOT know that ONLY those who know Him can be saved by Him." ~C.S. Lewis

What does this mean to me? Well...I was brought up in a religious tradition which teaches that in order to be saved, one must say a certain prayer, a certain way, and in a certain context. And that salvation is a single point in time, not a process. This never resonated with me. If we are created uniquely and if our relationship with God is "personal", as we like to call it, then how can the salvation experience be the same for every person? It's been a mind-opening process for me. And I'm grateful for the lightness it brings.

How about you? Any thoughts on what you are unlearning?



5 comments:

  1. Good question, M. I have also put some thought into that question as you were asked to go into more specifics during the discussion. I wondered what I would have answered had I been asked.

    After some thought, I know I used to believe, really believe, I could do it alone. Whatever "it" was. This 'idea' was probably born out of having to grow up much sooner than I was developmentally ready to handle as a child. I stopped trusting others, especially others who help develop a strong container, at a early age. So, I was in charge of building my own container too early in life. By the time I was on my own in the world, I knew EXACTLY what I had to do to keep myself out of the sadness I had felt as a child. The result I ended up with was learning to rely on Julie, me, and myself alone. No one else. This also meant Julie made decisions on her own, suffered alone, cried along, and only had herself to blame. Brennan Manning says, "The problem with our ideals is we become impossible to live with." Well, I didn't want to live with myself as myself anymore.

    My unlearning process has been (and continues to be about) about risking 'myself' by living out the way I now know we are intended to live. The safe choice for me is to be driven, not consider others' thoughts, and go solo. The risk is in allowing myself to be loved, truly Loved, by God through others. It's the only honest way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I remember reading that quote in Rob Bell's book (that was were I first read it) and reading it, and reading it, and reading it. There may be another way to enter into relationship with Christ other than going to an alter, saying a prayer, and confessing my sins in that moment??? It shook me up. One BIG unlearning I am doing is LEARNING that there is mystery in God and that we do not have HIM all figured out...and that is ok!
    Another unlearning that crossed my mind last week (at 4AM-I seem to do my best thinking then) was about tithing/finances. I was taught-only those that tithe and give will be financial blessed and even so far as to say that those who do not will NOT be blessed. I am unlearning this as GOD is showing me that His love is not contingent on my finances....or anything else for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading all of our comments, I notice so much of our unlearning processes seem to be about unfolding ideas about how we think God works. Those perfectly folded creases squelch so much of what God fills in us. It's as if the black and white ways of thinking have to be trashed before one can begin to accept Unknowns as ok answers. I guess Grace is an appropriate synonym here. This is great discussion...would love to hear from more of you on this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this discussion! Especially the Lewis quote . . .But also am reminded of vulnerability, after reading Julie's post about unlearning about risk -- whch entails vulnerability, which in turn means "willing to be wounded." Of course we naturally like neither risk nor vulnerability. Also liked Jennifer's post about unlearning / learning about God's mystery. Not sure we really "get" that enough of the time. Such a powerful, perspective-refining HIGH thought (as in high view of God, as opposed to a low view of God which reduces Him to someone who answers prayer and can be manipulated). Talk about the ego being in the ascendance here!
    More thoughts ? . . .

    ReplyDelete

'Core' responses from Beautiful Women of God

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.