This isn't so much of a "deep" question as it is one requiring reflection. We seem to always come back to our first book "The Apple" in our discussions. So I thought we could bring this full circle.
Name one lie you believed about yourself that you no longer believe. What helped you overcome the belief in this lie? Why did you believe it to begin with?
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think I've mentioned this before, it's worth mentioning again just to remind myself. I used to label myself in many ways and believed those lies for a very long time. I used to say "I'm just a driven person, or I am just not that affectionate, or it's in my blood."
ReplyDeleteI started realizing that those labels were lies I started believing about myself early on as a means to cope with difficult situations. The Apple helped to validate that the 'who' I am in Christ was not even close to 'who' I had been choosing to defining myself as. wow. Thanks for bringing this forward again, M. Another good one!
The lie I have shed is that I am anything other than whole just the way I am...not perfect, but whole. In other words, this may be more of a lie I believed about God than about myself. Because when I believed I had to be or do something to be accepted wholly as I am by Him, I painted God as something other than what HE is. He is ALL love...nothing but. And wants nothing but goodness for us. I'm not sure if I'm making that very clear...but it makes sense in my head! :)
ReplyDeleteChristians are not perfect and I do not have to walk around 'acting' as though I am or things are. What freedom there is in that for me.
ReplyDeleteAmen to J.'s response! I am right there with you on that. I used to think I had to be "perfect" to get God to really love me. Not true and I am convinced that A LOT of Christians walk around believing that lie!!
ReplyDelete