Well, per Julie's request...I will try to post a Question of the Week on here. I've been a little dry lately in the "deep" question department. But this one came to me today as I was pondering obedience. I missed this week's discussion, but from the looks of it, you guys discussed obedience?? In light of that, here's one to think about...
Revelation 3:15 & 16
"I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."
What does it mean to be spiritually "lukewarm"? And how do you know if you are "lukewarm" or not? And how does this fit into the Gospel of Grace?
Friday, October 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Don't you think that being "lukewarm" has a lot to do with being stagnant in your daily relationship with God? Of course, it is more than just that, but I think that not growing in Him and spending time with Him,really grieves God. I know when I get complacent about the Lord, I feel dry and empty. And, this leads me right back to Him and his grace. You can't have a true relationship with God without His grace.
ReplyDeleteFirst off, let me say for all of you who are not familiar with Melissa's QOTD's....yes, they are intense and require reflection. I love them all!!!
ReplyDeleteSecondly, God....you are beautiful! I love seeing that He is speaking to all of us and keeping us spiritually connected. Melissa, we talked about this verse last Tuesday night. Beautiful.
I have been lukewarm. I have stood in that pool and waded around for years there. Believing 'in' God, but not believing God. Not being who I really am....the good, the bad,and the ugly. Just going through the motions....praising him on the outside, but feeling little. Not living a life FULL of sin, but not living a life FULL of Christ's grace. I think the majority of people walking around stand in the lukewarm water....it is a place where you don't have to have strong convictions, bold may not be in your vocabulary.
I have sort of lost where I was going....the downside to trying to write this when there are children awake in my house. :)
If I can re-gather my thoughts I will post more....I think I said most of what I wanted to.
During the discussion last night I wrote something down about being lukewarm....
ReplyDeleteTo get out of 'being' lukewarm we must have the willingness to fail. If we stay in our comfort zone all the time and never RISK anything then we stay lukewarm.
So, when I fail...and I fail often....I will know I have stepped out in faith and He is with me.
I was so glad we added this question to our discussion last Tuesday. What great discussion!
ReplyDeleteMy mind has really been wrapped around this question. Lately I've been listening to a song called Revive Me by Jeremy Camp based on Psalm 119. "Revive me, according to your loving kindness" are some of the words ringing in my head.
In answering your quesiton: How do I know if I am lukewarm or not? I think that when I am NOT lukewarm, I will experience revival over and over again, even through the suffering. As Brennan Manning puts it, "...the occasion for painful personal growth in fidelity" will happen over and over again.
Good one, M. Good one. :>